Your website should be a lot more than just an online brochure – it should be a lead-generating machine that works non-stop for your construction company. Two simple ways to make this happen are to build a site that does a great job of encouraging your visitors to make inquiries and to utilize proven online marketing strategies to drive qualified traffic to your website. Today we’ll address the second part of that equation with the following ways that are proven winners in the construction industry.
Local Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Local SEO is a technique that makes your web pages rank well when residential or commercial customers in your defined geographic area search for a construction company on Google. Local SEO is a natural, organic, and effective tool for driving traffic to your website. While most companies require outside guidance or campaign management for more specific SEO tasks, among some of the most important ways to improve your local SEO effectiveness are:
- Ensure that your company name, physical address, and phone number are prominently displayed on all of your web pages.
- Create business listings on all reputable local business association sites.
- Create listings on local and national construction industry-related websites and blogs.
- Set up a Google My Business (GMB) page and continually add content about your business.
- Encourage positive online reviews of your company on reputable review sites such as Angie’s List, BBB, Yelp, and within the construction industry.
Refocus or Expand Your Search Optimization Target Keyword List
For optimal local search engine optimization (SEO) targeting the right keywords is essential. Incorporate keywords and keyword phrases into your site that match the keywords of relevant users. If you can’t compete with larger companies for the top industry keywords, refocus on less-competitive, lower-volume “longtail keywords” that still have a high likelihood of generating a search inquiry. For example, instead of aiming for a high-volume phrase such as “construction company”, target:
- “Major construction company”
- “Top construction companies”
- “Construction framing company”
- “Landscape construction companies”
- “New home construction company”
- “Home construction companies”
- “Industrial construction company”
- “Local construction companies”
- “Residential construction company”
- “Commercial construction companies”
If you already have a successful SEO campaign, expand your keyword focus. If you are a residential construction company getting good organic traffic from the keyword “residential contractor”, add keywords for other specific services you offer:
- “Foundation repair”
- “Roof repair”
- “Basement remodeling”
- “Kitchen remodeling”
Keep in mind that you’ll need a separate site page for each of the specific services keywords you target.
Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Advertising
For a more aggressive, but very effective marketing strategy, consider PPC advertising such as Google AdWords. These are specific ads that display on Google when users conduct a search query for a keyword your ad campaign has targeted. Unlike the organic nature of SEO, in which your relevant web pages move up in rank over time, if your bid is successful, your ads will appear on top immediately.
The more competitive construction companies that are bidding on an AdWords keyword you’re targeting, the more expensive the ad will be. While some ads can be pricey, consider the value of new customer attainment. Construction companies often find they get a positive ROI even if their keywords are expensive. You’ll also need to create your ads, and create landing pages for visitors to be taken to once they’ve clicked on your ad. Additionally, you will also need to pay a management fee to the agency managing your campaign.