Google’s Ultra-Fast Internet Will Change How People Do Business
In case you haven’t heard, Google Fiber is a project to build an experimental broadband internet network infrastructure using fiber-optic communication in Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri. Google Fiber opened up the bid process in February of 2010 – inviting cities to apply for the project to come to their city first. Over 1,1000 communities responded – trying all types of antics to get Google’s attention (like when Topeka, Kansas, changed its name to Google, Kansas, and Google responded by re-naming itself Topeka as an April Fool’s joke), but in the end, KC won out. This means residents in Kansas City will have connectivity at around one gigabit per second – about 100 times faster access than most Americans have.
In Kansas City, we’re all excited about what Google Fiber could mean for our community, but thinking beyond that – what does Google Fiber mean for business? Specifically, what does it mean for our industry and building product CMOs?
I don’t have all the answers but here are some changes Google Fiber could bring to marketing:
- The need for digital literacy in the building products industry:
- The building products industry is often two steps behind with technology, which can make trying new marketing initiatives hard for building product CMOs, but with advancements in technology like Google Fiber, digital literacy is going to be more important than ever. The web provides an unlimited amount of information for and people that don’t know how to take advantage of this are going to be at a huge disadvantage.
- New innovations and cutting-edge technologies:
- Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. And their Google Fiber project is an extension of this. By investing in a “next generation technology infrastructure”, they are opening the door for technology that’s never been seen before. Whether it comes from KC or other cities hoping to attract Google Fiber or other private Internet providers, these technologies will change the way we do business.
- Better, more advanced and faster videos:
- Forget creating a video with your handheld flip video recorder. With ultra fast internet, everything can be uploaded and downloaded much faster. This includes live 3D video and cutting the download time of HD movies from hours to minutes. Video is already the wave of the future and Google Fiber will just promote that trend even further.
To read more about Google Fiber, check out their blog: http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/.
Leave a Comment
Building Relationships that Grow
We show up for clients and, like you, put our experience to work.
We focus on building solid relationships from day one, because we understand that trust isn’t given, it’s earned over time.