In every type of marketing, you utilize your brand voice. However, many smaller startups struggle to find this voice. It can be a challenge, after all. A brand voice is more than just a slogan or a pitch, it encompasses everything the brand stands for and it is part of every message. If you’re still working on putting your brand voice “into words” so to speak, we’ve put together five tips that may help you through the process.
- Start with Three Words – Limit yourself to three words that capture the essence of what you want your brand to be. What would those three words be? By looking at just those three bare-bone words, you have a good idea of where to base your voice from and how to begin creation.
- Set Yourself Apart – Realize that your brand voice needs to be different than anyone else out there. What makes you unique? Focus on the differences, not the similarities. These differences will become a major part of your brand voice.
- Listen to Your Customers – What do customers (or potential customers or focus groups) say about your company or brand? These descriptors can either become part of your brand voice or can be used to adjust your brand voice in a more appropriate direction.
- Inspire Results – Realize that your goal is to encourage customers to purchase, subscribe, share or do SOMETHING. Build action into your brand voice. Inspiration is an important tool and one that should be harnessed at every turn.
- Understand Voice is Ever-Evolving – Think about a company that has been around for many years. You’ll realize that the message or voice that it portrays to the public has likely changed. One prime example is beer–what once was a product targeted almost exclusively to blue-collar men is now marketed towards many different demographics.
At the end of the day, realize that your brand voice shouldn’t be something you have to force, it should feel natural. If you are having to work at it way too hard, it could be that you’re going in the completely wrong direction. Take a deep breath, relax and let the words flow naturally. You’ll be surprised what you already understand about your brand’s voice, that you didn’t realize you knew.
Leave a Comment
Building Relationships that Grow
We show up for clients and, like you, put our experience to work.
We focus on building solid relationships from day one, because we understand that trust isn’t given, it’s earned over time.