The Account Manager has demonstrated the ability to manage & grow client relationships independently and is capable of managing larger accounts within the agency than an Account Executive. The role is more strategic and less tactical, but still requires outstanding execution of all programs and projects for those clients. This role reports to the Director of Account Service, with potential for promotion into the role of Account Supervisor.
The ideal candidate will have served as an account executive for 3-4 years and demonstrated the ability to be a trusted partner for the client, bringing increased growth and stability to the client relationship. He/she should be comfortable leading the development of larger recommendations/plans for clients and equally comfortable presenting, selling, defending and executing on them.
An Account Manager will typically have an Account Executive or Coordinator reporting to them, so demonstrating the ability to mentor and manage an employee is a critical need for this role. Building a strong team with that person so that the Account Manager can focus on more strategic work is key to success.
Finally, the ideal candidate must be passionate about this industry and about learning/developing new skills. Having experience/knowledge of email marketing, CRM systems, social media management, search engine marketing, or online/offline media buying would all be of value in this position.
A more specific list of day-to-day responsibilities
- Manages daily workload of the agency, along with other members of the account service team, balancing client needs with agency capacities, working a minimum of 1-2 weeks ahead and addressing concerns from creative/digital departments.
- Develops creative briefs and input documents to ensure creative/digital teams understand what is needed
- Leads status reports/meetings with each assigned client
- Serves as the client advocate within the agency, knowing/understanding the client’s business better than anyone else
- Works closely with Account Executive/Coordinator to manage client portfolio.
- Keeps Director of Account Service apprised of all that is happening with each client.
A more specific list of skills and experience requirements
- Degree from higher education institution or equivalent experience
- 5+ years professional experience
- Demonstrated experience managing and growing clients in an agency environment (or comparable experience in a client-side organization)
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to build relationship with client contacts (typically Director or VP of Marketing)
- Strong skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to think strategically while still handling tactical work as needed
Ability to Apply ER Marketing’s Core Values to their Role
- Capacity and willingness to learn new concepts and processes information quickly
- Applies Identify, Discuss, Solve (IDS) thinking to issues to develop solutions
- Continually asking, “did that deliver to the client objective?”
- Outgoing “can do” attitude and customer service approach to clients
- Practices courtesy and understanding of other’s roles and how their work impacts them
- Responds in a timely manner to agency and client questions
- Consistently arrives on time, fully present and prepared for all meetings
- Able to work independently and manage own time and deliverables
- Consistently Reliable - Do what you say you will do.
- Willing to admit mistakes and adopt changes to prevent them in the future
- Delivers projects on time and on budget
- Regularly succeeds in helping clients reach their objectives
- Contribute to agency growth goals by helping retain existing clients and contribute to the organic growth of those clients
- Projects are completed on time and within budget
- AGI from existing clients is increased over time
- Client satisfaction scores are strong.
We are a Kansas City based, full-service agency specializing in the building products industry. For 20 years, we’ve partnered with our clients to dig in, get our hands dirty, and produce results driven (and award winning!) work for our clients, having fun and developing decades long relationships in the process. The building industry is booming and so is our business, that’s why we are seeking talented, hard-working individuals who aren’t afraid to wear many hats, sometimes even hard hats, to get the job done!